Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hardtop and rollbar removed with a little helper...



For the most part, I was able to remove all the nuts and bolts that held the Meyers CJ6 hardtop together without too much trouble.  I did have to use my new 4 1/2" grinder from Harbor Freight to remove the heads of a handful of bolts that had rusted to the point where there were no flats to put a wrench on.  Once all the fastners were completely removed, Amy helped me remove the sides and lift off the roof.





Here is is in pieces:

 

Next to tackle was removing the the old, dealer-installed roll bar.  There were two rusted bolts that had to be held with channel locks, like the others they were so rusted there were no flats on them.  I was surprised on how quick I was able to remove them and I did not have to resort to grinding them off.  I had to employ the help of my wife, Amy, to remove the four bolts that attach the front foot of the roll bar to the floor behind the driver's seat.  These were a pain !  But with patience and some grunting we were able to remove all four.  Thanks, PB Blaster!!   I still had the four bolts on the passenger side to get out but it was late and they would have to wait.

The next evening while sitting at the computer browsing the earlycj5.com forum and ewillys.com my daughter appeared at my doorway dressed in sweat shirt, sweat pants, tennis shoes, gloves and a baseball cap and says, "Hey Dad, wanna go work on the Jeep together?"  I almost bowled her over trying to get to the garage before she changed her mind !


I had to get my camera and snap a couple of pics!


Here she is grunting, as she removes the last of the rusty roll bar bolts.



Here is the roll bar sitting in the back of the CJ6 waiting to be taken outside.  The angle iron on the passenger side of the roll bar is pretty bad rusted and will need to be replaced.  The rest of the roll bar looks great.  I am not sure what type of cage I am going to put back in.  We will see as the time comes to address that option.

See ya soon, Tim D

1 comment:

  1. Looks like y'all have been busy! Love seeing the pics of my niece at work, what a great helper!

    -pj

    ReplyDelete