Friday, August 14, 2009

Welcome to Jeep-Jitsu !


What the heck is Jeep-Jitsu ?!

It is your window into the smash-mouth, knock-down, drag-out fight bewteen me (Tim "L.B." Duncan) and a 1967 Jeep CJ-6 ("Lil' Rusty Red") that I am attempting to beat back into shape. Here is how the Jeep looked when I stumbled across it on the 'Net.

Being this is the first time I have ever done a vehicle restoration I am anticipating many obstacles that will attempt to push my patience, strength and sanity to the breaking point. But, I have faith that my plan of slow and steady progress will overcome many of the hardships I will face but only time will tell.




Why a Jeep ? I have always wanted to own a Jeep ever since I saw my first olive drab Flat-Fender when I was a little kid. I had several friends that owned Jeep ( CJ-5s) when we were growing up. The experience of the open air was always a blast back then while cruising around on the summer nights. But I was into muscle cars ( 1967 Mustang GT coupe ) and girls too, so 4WDs took a back seat to my personal interests back then.

A few years ago my good friend, Robert, heard about an old "army" Jeep that was for sale for $200. He called me and my other friend Billy ( aka "Pappy") and we were all ready to get it and fix it up together. The next day when Robert acquired about the Jeep, it had already been sold the night before... day late or a dollar short. Most the time that's how it goes with me.

My wife has always secretly wanted a Jeep. She has never bought one because she is too "practical" and has a hard time just letting her hair down. That's why she married me. I have no problem in those areas. Thank God for her in my life!

Recently, I started thinking about finding an old Jeep to tinker with. Once I started looking around on the 'Net and increasing my Jeep knowledge (Heck, I didn't even know CJ meant Civilian Jeep) I soon discovered the CJ-6. Thanks to Michael Boyink and his awesome SuperSize Dutch CJ-6 blog with helping me make up my mind in going with a CJ-6. Once the kids start growing the extra room does help! His blog also helped me find EarlyCJ5.com which is a very well run Jeep Forum that has TONS of helpful knowledge and very friendly and helpful members and staff. My early Jeep knowledge grew by leaps and bounds once I found that great forum!!

Well, "Lil' Rusty Red" is on the way and I am busy "nest-building" getting as many things ready as I can to start the clean-up and tear-down.

See ya soon, Tim

1 comment:

  1. Dont give up on it. It took me 4 years to restore my 75 CJ5 on minimum wage pay. It was well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete