Saturday, September 12, 2009

Original owner of L.R.R found !

Ever looked at your Jeep and wished you could talk to the person
that originally purchased your Jeep? I had those thoughts when I was a kid working
on my '67 Mustang GT coupe.


Fast-forward twenty-three years later...


When the CJ6 arrived, one of the first things I did was to go through the glove box.
It had a lot of papers in it. I brought them in and quickly sorted them out on the bar.
There were WA state vehicle registrations from 1972-2007 as well as insurance
papers all the way up to 2007. The name on these papers also matched the name
that is on the Jeep's title.


The P.O. (Previous Owner) had stated that he was the 2nd owner and he had just
recently acquired it in early 2009 after wanting it for several years. I spent some
time on the Internet searching using the name and address and finally found a
phone number...


After waiting a week, I finally decided to call the number. A gentleman answered
the phone (his name is Bob) and I explained who I was and asked him if he could
answer some questions about the his old Jeep. He graciously agreed and began to
answer my barrage of questions. (I was so excited!!)


Bob originally purchased it in CA and later moved. He told me that the Meyers steel
top and roll bar was installed at the dealership. He added the Warn OD and the rear
fender gas tank sometime soon after. He then later added a Power Inverter mounted
inside on the wheel house behind the drivers seat as well as a Dietz onboard
air-compressor with frame mounted air-tank under the tub. (Did I tell you I was excited!!)
The small patch of bondo on the passenger side is from a minor fender bender in 1971.


I told him I wasn't planning on cutting it up and making a rock-crawler out of it. I was
interested in keeping it original. He said he was glad to know someone was going to
restore his ol' Jeep.


He told me there was a folder that he had given the man who bought it from him that
had all his service records, Warn OD papers and all the schematics for the items he
installed, but since I was going to restore it to original that I was probably going to pull
all that stuff out and the schematics would not be much use. ( I had already spoken with
the P.O. about this folder and hopefully it will soon be on the way to me.)


I told him that "period" aftermarket items are often looked at as "unique" items and
that I was planning on maintaining these items in my restoration. He then mentioned
that he was invloved with a Train museum and they usually do not restore all the way
back to factory original either.


I got his email address and told him I would send him the link to my blog so he could
keep up with the restoration. I asked him for copies of any old pictures of the Jeep and
he said he did have some but that he would have to do some digging to find them.
( I cannot wait until I can post those pictures here at Jeep-Jitsu!!)


See ya soon, Tim D


No comments:

Post a Comment